Success Stories—Marc Martin (December 2006)

I’ve been a heavy user of computers since 1985, both at work (where I’m an aerospace engineer and programmer) and at home (where I run multiple websites and discussion groups).

In 2000, I got some sort of chronic “flu” which refused to go away. The doctors kept giving me more and more antibiotics, and at some point it became obvious that this was doing more harm than good, as I started getting environmental, chemical, and food sensitivities. I also became less and less tolerant of my workplace, and was exhausted by the end of each workday. Eventually I had to go on disability from work.

After finally figuring out that exposure to computers and florescent lights were causing my exhaustion, I initially tried all of the conventional EMF solutions. I bought a glass EMF shield for my monitor. I used an EMF meter to minimize my exposure. I experimented with a variety of EMF shielding materials. I bought an LCD monitor. None of these helped enough to make much of a difference.

Meanwhile, my overall health was terrible—I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome. My immune system was obviously not working, as I caught every illness going around. I needed tons of sleep. I eventually got fed up with conventional medicine and switched to alternative medicine. I also started cleaning up my diet, switching from junk foods and microwaved foods to more organic, raw fruits and vegetables. I became a vegetarian.

A naturopath tested me for high levels of mercury in my system (in the past, I had a mouthful of mercury fillings and ate a can of tuna every day). I purchased several books on mercury poisoning, and one of them listed a symptom of being a hypersensitivity to electricity. This book said that these symptoms would eventually go away if I had all of my metal dental work removed and underwent mercury detoxification.

So I had all of my remaining mercury fillings replaced. Amazingly, a lot of my health complaints disappeared immediately, but the electrical sensitivity remained. At that point, my tolerance for sitting in front of my 15" LCD monitor was about 5 minutes, it was painful to watch TV from 10 feet away and also using a regular corded phone.

So, the next step was mercury detox. I found that I had bad reactions to most chelators, but started taking the “NDF” chelator in small amounts followed an hour later by the antioxidant “Microhydrin”. Also, around about the same time, I saw a doctor who recommended that I try some EMF protection devices from “Quantum Products”.

So I tried a Quantum power strip. On day one, I had a huge surge of energy! On subsequent days, I became fatigued, and recognized these symptoms as being the same detoxification symptoms I got when my fillings were removed. But my tolerance was definitely improved. With a few power strips and the Quantum Byte software, I finally went back to work—halftime.

The next few years I took a lot of supplements for detoxification, rebuilding various organs which were impacted (adrenals, thyroid, etc.), and experimenting with many EMF protection devices. My health continued to improve, and by 2003 I was working fulltime and required a normal amount of sleep.

As it stands now (in 2006), I still practice avoidance where practical, I still eat a lot of healthy foods, still take supplements, and still use EMF protection devices. I am, for the most part, symptom-free and living a normal life. I still have electrical sensitivity, but it’s not nearly as bad as it once was, and it no longer gets in the way.

So, after years of trial & error, here are the most important things which have helped my electrical sensitivity so far: