My Personal Story

Sensitization to Radar

Radar scope
Joe Hendricks

That all changed in January of 1999 when I became sensitized to radar. I was working at a Naval Base, and the building I was working in was immediately adjacent to the entrance of Esquimalt Harbour, where the Navy ships had their port. My first sensitization exposure to radar was devastating: the effects were much worse than those of fluorescent lights and computers. I had a long list of symptoms:

I was sick for at least three weeks following my first experience of being sensitized to radar. Fortunately, the week after I had been sensitized, I had planned to take the week off as vacation, and I could spend most of the time resting. There was no way that I could work during that week; I was incapacitated. I reluctantly went back to work following my vacation. I had to somehow keep working. I struggled with repeated radar exposures and almost died in late 1999.

I started experimenting with various subtle energy devices supposed to help protect against electromagnetic fields, and spent a great amount of money on them, but they did not help much, and many of them even made me sick. It seems that I was sensitive, not only to electromagnetic fields, but to subtle energy as well. My beloved ex-wife, who is very sensitive, also got sick from many of the EMF protection devices I purchased.

Somehow, I managed to keep alive and working, but it was a losing battle. I knew I would die if I continued to work at the Naval Base, so in July of 2001 I wrote a letter to my supervisor requesting a transfer to another position elsewhere in the public service where I could work in an environment free from radar exposure. I was willing to move across the country, if needed. I was reluctant to make the request for a transfer because I doubted that anyone would take my claim seriously. As expected, my request for a transfer was denied by Health Canada on the grounds that western medical science generally does not recognize hypersensitivity to electromagnetic fields as an illness.

Fortunately, however, I was graciously given permission to telecommute four days per week from my home in Sooke; I would be required to work at the Naval Base only one day per week. Although I was not very productive due to this arrangement, I did manage to stay alive because I was able to recover sufficiently from radar exposure during the six days of the week that I was at home. The new work arrangement continued until I decided to apply for a disability pension in early 2002.

Possible Career Change